Monday, July 28, 2008

"Courageous Princess" by Rod Espinosa

1) a) Bibliography:
Espinosa, Rod. (2004.) The Courageous Princess. San Antonio, Texas: Antarctic Press, 236 pp.
b) Genre and Awards: Science Fiction/Comics
Best Story for Younger Audiences Eisner Awards
Most Promising Newcomer and
Best Artist by Ignatz Awards

2) Synopsis: Princess Mabelrose attends her first disastrous ball, then finds herself kidnapped by a dragon. She is not the fairest in the land, and therefore decides to take her fate into her own hands, and escape herself. Girls everywhere could learn from Mabelrose that princes can always let you down. She has a sidekick porcupine, Spikey. (not very original). Although I really enjoyed this book, it seemed to be a mixture of all the fairy tales already out there, a la Shrek. Rapunzel is here, Aladdin is here, Robin Hood is present as well. Many well known tales weave together to make up the "Courageous Princess."

3) a) Characterization: Mabelrose is a confident, strong heroine, along with Spikey her best friend. I don't know that graphic novels lend themselves to in-depth characters, but I definitely enjoyed Mabelrose. Her father, Aladdin, was hard to understand, as well as her mother, who randomly finds her parents 3/4 of the way through the book. I feel this book was supposed to have a sequel...so I need to go find it to understand some of the loose threads.
b) Plot: Mabelrose escapes from the bad dragon that kidnaps princesses. She finds a new friend along the way, Spikey, and they begin an adventure together to get Mabelrose home to her parents. They stumble upon the city of Lepita, and save the town from the wicked King's brother. (King Richard...Robin Hood plot)
c) Theme: Girl Power! Don't sit in a tower and wait for Prince Charming to come save you from the dragon...take fate into your own hands. Also friendship. Mabelrose and Spikey must stick together.
d) Setting: Enchanted lands...in a kingdom far, far away.
e) Style and Effectiveness: graphic novel, very effective for students who dislike conventional readings. I would reccommend this to a student who enjoys comics or anime. Girls especially should like Mabelrose.
f) Value and Concerns: I can only imagine that boys will be hesitant to read a book called "Courageous Princess" whether it is graphic or not. No other concerns with this book, other than it being pretty easy. Value of individuality, and taking fate into your own hands.
g) Needs of Adolescents: Girls will see a heroine that is not defined by a relationship. Princess Mabelrose goes to a ball, and discovers that even though she is a princess, she doesn't have a fancy ballgown, and she is not the fairest in the land. Later, after escaping and helping save the town of Lepita, she discovers that her actions and deeds make up who she is, not some stupid prince!
h) Multicultural Issues: Definite gender issues here. Also, M and Spikey travel to and through many distant lands. The town of Lepita has serious prejudices against talking animals and humans, so that is a good message of acceptance as well.

4) Possible Classroom Uses: On my shelf. We always mention the reluctant reader boy. I think we are forgetting the reluctant reader girl. This book would be great for a girl that just doesn't think she likes reading. Princess Mabelrose is girl power all the way, and is not waiting on any prince to do what she is capable of herself.

5) Appropriate Age Range: all ages. This would be great to be read to a child, or great for any age to read for themselves. It is not a difficult read, but I do think older readers, girls especially, might find strength in this not-so-typical princess.

6) Personal Reactions: I actually really enjoyed this book. I put it off until last, thinking it was just a comic book, but I feel that for a student that really "hated" reading, this might be a great alternative. I find it distracting to read the captions across different squares, but for different readers, I can see how this form of literature could be new and exciting. I really enjoyed Princess Mabelrose and her friend Spikey. I did think Spikey could have had a more interesting name...I mean, he is a porcupine, and the only thing we can come up with is Spikey?? The graphics and pictures really remind me of Japanese Anime. I know this is a huge art form right now, so this book might really appeal to students into that as well. I liked this book, and feel it is worthwhile to explore this genre of graphic novel. Before I didn't really get it!

2 comments:

max said...

Hi,

I grew up as a reluctant reader. Now I write action-adventures & mysteries, especially for boys 8 and up, that kids hate to put down. My web site is at http://www.maxbooks.9k.com and my Books for Boys blog is at http://booksandboys.blogspot.com
Ranked by Accelerated Reader

Max Elliot Anderson

Read about my message to kids in a bottle: http://www.prweb.com/releases/2008/5/prweb983364.htm

Stephanie Pierce said...

I didn't think that I would like the graphic novel either, but I was really surprised. I love fairy tales, so I might give this a try.