Thursday, July 31, 2008

"Eclipse" by Stephenie Meyer

"Eclipse" by Stephanie Meyer is the 3rd book in the Twilight series. It once again follows Bella and her reunited love, Edward. This book is where the "Team Edward" and "Team Jacob" really come into play. Bella can't live without Edward, but she also can't live without Jacob's friendship. While I know that Bella and Edward are simply meant to be, I still feel Jacob is a safer choice, and stable and loving. I just don't think Edward would ever feel right about turning Bella into a vampire, and damning her to an eternal cursed life.
I still have the same concern with this series. I don't think this models a healthy view of relationships and love. It is a guilty pleasure to read, but I would only use this book for independent reading, and as a way to "be cool" with my students who were reading it. Literature circles would be fine as well. I don't think junior high girls should be reading this, but they are...and are apparently loving it....so I guess I am just old fashioned.

Since my required blogs are done....this one is short....and just to keep up with books I've read!

No comments: