Monday, July 21, 2008

New Moon by Stephenie Meyer

1) a) Bibliography:
Meyer, Stephenie. (2006). New Moon. New York: Little, Brown and Company, 562 pp.
b) Genre and Awards: Teen Fiction; Teen Drama
New York Times Bestseller List

2) Synopsis: Edward leaves Bella for her own good, except he couldn't be more wrong! Bella finds herself in just as much trouble as when she was running around with a vampire, if not more! Jacob becomes Bella's best friend, and the only thing that makes her feel alive at all. When he turns into a werewolf, things get crazy again. Bella takes up extreme sports, including jumping off a cliff. Unfortunately, Alice sees this in her visions, and Edward thinks the worst...will Bella make it to him before he does something stupid??

3) a) Characterization: Bella is so depressed, part of this book is really hard to get through. I actually enjoyed this one, but the suicidal thoughts, themes, and attempts really bother me for younger audiences. Bella grows up a little, Jacob becomes a major player in this one, and Charlie starts to step up as a dad.
b) Plot: Jacob and Bella grow closer and closer, but can he replace Edward? Not quite. Bella struggles to learn how to live without her soulmate.
c) Theme: Self searching, romance!
d) Setting: Forks again. With a brief trip to Italy. Did I say brief? I meant horrifying...
e) Style and Effectiveness: This book was very effective in showing just how strong the bond between Bella and Edward is. Neither one can live without the other one. Edward loves Bella so much, he gives her up, thinking that is what is best for her.
f) Value and Concerns: My biggest concern is the depression. I think young girls reading this book will think that "real love" involves depression, suicidal attempts, etc. This is a modern day Romeo and Juliet. Edward believes Bella to be dead, and decides life is not worth living. Luckily, it all works out, and no one goes through with it. However, I just feel like it is a very extreme love story, and wouldn't want any young impressionable girls to think this is normal behavior for a high school romance.
g) Needs of Adolescents: Teen love! I remember thinking my boyfriends were "The One" when we only dated a few days or something. THis book takes high school relationships seriously...just maybe a little too seriously. Bella does eventually try to get on with her life for Charlie's sake.
h) Multicultural Issues: Not only vampires...we add werewolves in this one! Jacob and Billy Black's tribe, the Quileutes are an ancient tribe with wolfy backgrounds!

4) Possible Classroom Uses: individual reading...personal discussions. These books are so wildly popular, it is important to try and keep up with what is popular, but I wouldn't use this book in any part of class.

5) Appropriate Age Range: Barnes and Noble says 12 and up...but I would not think a 12 year old could handle this. 15 and up is my opinion.

6) Personal Reactions: I am in love with the series as an adult woman. Like I have said twice before, I am just not sure about how teenage girls will really take all the depressed star crossed lover stuff. Apparently, they are eating it up...as am I! HOpefully those reading this realize it is just fiction, and most people don't fall that in love in high school. I guess since they realize that vampires and werewolves aren't real, I should assume they can figure out not to run to Italy for a suicide mission too.

1 comment:

Liz said...

You know, I really appreciate your concern about the suicidal depression, etc. in these books. They are extremely popular with young, young girls. I agree with you on making it clear that it is important to keep young relationships healthy in the real world; when vampires and werewolves are involved, fantasy is fantasy, I guess. I haven't read the series, don't see myself doing so in the future, but I like to have a vague idea on what's going on (it worked with Harry Potter and I never read a book)--your reviews, if you choose to continue them, will absolutely help me out. You are, essentially, my Twilight SparkNotes, and I think you do a fine job. I wish I could be the cool teacher like you about knowing what's popular, but I think I will be the one waving copies of Wuthering Heights at kids instead and probably scaring them off. At least I will know who is who in Twilightland. Would you try and use this to help explain Romeo and Juliet, or is it too much of a supernatural stretch?