Thursday, July 31, 2008

"Teach Me" by R.A. Nelson

Whoaaaaa....this book is really captivating. I couldn't put it down....It was completely wrong and completely demented. Nine is the main character of this story, and she gets totally obsessed with her teacher. Crazy obsessed. But the real problem is the teacher. Mr. Mann....Mr. Dick Mann.....grrrr (insert Edward growl here) (see Twilight). He does so many stupidly wrong things. Gives her the gift certificate, partners with her alone on the plant a tree day, memorizes her schedule. It is no wonder this poor young impressionable girl started getting the hots for him. Of course, they wind up having an affair which never meant anything to Mann, and meant the world to Nine.
Mann was a huge liar that hid behind poetry his entire life. He got himself in trouble with Nine, so he married his pregnant ex-girlfriend to get out of the mess. What a coward. My second problem with this book is the scene where Nine tries to get it on with her best friend that she completely forgot about during her affair, Schyler. Schuyler says no because he knows she wants it to be the teacher. I just don't think that Nine really would have done that. She was still damaged goods, and was still plotting revenge on her teacher when this happens. If I was Schuyler, I would have been very hurt by this, but he didn't seem to be bothered much.
Just some thoughts on a completely enthralling book!!

1 comment:

Liz said...

So you are not a Mann fan! This is extremely interesting. I agree with you that he is one awful teacher who did all the wrong things to get Nine's interest. But, I had a little sympathy for him. Probably remnants from my Humbert Humbert days, but I feel like his mistakes were more immature/stupid than predatory. He did hide behind poetry. He did not belong teaching students. I like that you called his marriage to Alicia as backing out of Nine. Is she really a "poor young impressionable girl"? She obviously has some stability problems as seen by the crazy-obsessiveness, but I thought she was pretty solid on her feet in the beginning. Actually, what really bothered me was how smart she and Schuyler were (as well as the attacking of Sky later on...that also was bogus) but I didn't think normal teenagers would know the difference between Australopithecus afarensis and Australopithecus africanus.
I didn't for my Bio Anth class final three semesters ago.
Glad you read this book--I can tell it had an impact!