Wednesday, July 16, 2008

"Woodsong" by Gary Paulsen

1) a) Bibliography:
Paulsen, Gary. (2002). Woodsong. New York: Aladdin Paperbacks, 132 pp.
b) Genre and Awards:
Biography
School Library Journal Best Book
A Booklist Editor’s Choice

2) Synopsis: Gary Paulsen describes his life with his dogs, and ultimately a day-by-day description of the Iditarod Race. The race is a 1,180 mile dogsled race across Alaska.

3) a) Characterization: The only characters presented in this book are Gary Paulsen and his wife briefly. Since this is his autobiography, you get a very real feel of what kind of man Paulsen is, and what kind of life he leads. Although they are not people, I got very attached to Paulsen's dogs. Storm, Cookie, Willy, etc. are really the stars of the dogsled races, b/c they are doing all the work!
b) Plot: Paulsen's homelife and family (and pets) are described with humorous stories, and touching detail. You are really routing for Paulsen and his pups to finish the race!
c) Theme: Achieving Goals, being one with Nature. Paulsen starts out as a hunter, but the more he is in nature, the more he begins to believe we should respect the outdoors instead of harming things in it. The race is also a great way of showing perseverance and dedication to goal setting.
d) Setting: The wilderness, Alaska. Nature.
e) Style and Effectiveness: The writing style is very simple, yet very real. I think boys especially will really enjoy the real danger, and the gore of the injuries and predators. There are also some very funny scenes involving the different animals. I think this book would be very effective for young boys who enjoy the outdoors, but say they don't like to read.
f) Value and Concerns: I don't have any concerns other than this book is very boy oriented. However, I found myself very emotional about Storm, the dog. So maybe girls could enjoy this as well. The values are very appropriate for young middle schoolers and junior high students.
g) Needs of Adolescents: I think a positive role model is a definite need of adolescents. Gary Paulsen is a man who lives simply, admits they are broke, and yet lives a life of character, dedication, and respect. This book provides a man to look up to, and a nice look into living in the outdoors.

4) Possible Classroom Uses: Small groups (mostly boys). I chose this book because I feel like it is something my husband (a reluctant reader) would pick up. He loves to hunt, loves his dog, and would admire the survival skills displayed by Paulsen. I would reccommend this book to boys just like him. It will definitely have a home on my bookshelf.

5) Appropriate Age Range: listed as 12 and up, but I think as young as 8 or 9 could appreciate this, however, there are some scenes of predator vs. prey in the woods that might be upsetting to younger kids. One scene in particular was very graphic, where a deer gets eaten by a pack of wolves. This might be a little much.

6) Personal Reactions: As a stated earlier, I picked up this book because I felt it was something my husband would have liked. I surprised myself when I was laughing at an ornery hen named Hawk, and a silly dog named Wilson. Likewise, I cried when Storm passed away! I was shocked I could really be that sensitive over a dog! I think this is an easy read, so for an older boy that isnt into books, I have a feeling this could really be an enjoyable read. I enjoyed it as a 25 year old woman.

3 comments:

Tara said...

I admire your reading a book you would normally not pick up as a way of reaching out to more reluctant readers, or at least ones with significantly different taste than your own! It is really neat that you have that resource to draw from. A boy I babysat for several years loved books like this and as I was reading your description I thought about needing to facebook him with the title! I love the way you talk about the book offering a role model. The lack of strong male figures in schools and in a lot of our future students' lives really concerns me and I have often thought about trying to help them find those models in books. Way to be!

Miss Martha said...

Miss Martha says . . .

Thanks for the great response, Stephanie. This is on my list of must-reads. I will also share this title with other teacher friends who have "reluctant readers" at home and in class. The issue of needing role models for young people is a valid and desperate one in today's society. I appreciated you pointing out that Paulsen is broke, but still has strength of character, drive, ambition, and strong values. Your comments were neatly organized and thorough. Thank you again!

Grace said...

Way to step out of your comfort zone. I admire your for reading for your students and appreciate your suggestion. I think that I will be buying this one for my classroom library. My mother suggested that I read a Paulsen book when I told her about the project. I believe the name was "Guts." She (a language arts teacher with 27 years experience) made many of the same comments about Paulsen when she told me about his books. Good Job!